CarbonWise promotes the carbon wisdom of companies. Carbon wisdom means business operations that are energy-efficient and take the entire lifecycle of the product into consideration while minimising environmental impacts. CarbonWise encourages companies to consider climate change and carbon footprint reduction, carbon handprint and compensation and, more broadly, solutions in line with the principles of sustainable development in their strategies.
The objectives of the CarbonWise project are:
- To help companies understand what their carbon footprints consist of and develop companies’ capability to monitor, analyse and reduce their own carbon footprints.
- To reduce companies’ carbon footprints by offering tools and methods for this purpose and ways of carrying out carbon handprint operations and compensation. Carbon handprint refers to climate benefits, or emissions reduction impacts.
- To encourage companies to build their brands and competitive advantages based on carbon-wise strategies and product and service development.
- To promote the development of city organisations towards carbon wisdom, starting with the selected pilot locations. In Oulu, low-carbon operating methods will be developed and piloted at BusinessAsema, in Turku in the Kupittaa campus area and in Espoo in tourism industry companies.
- To increase companies’ responsible operations at the regional level, promote new, innovative solutions, experiments and pilots and provide companies with help in moving them forward.
- To present ways of reducing the carbon footprints of cities and make measures visible at city level and integrate them into the everyday lives of residents.
The project is coordinated by the City of Oulu, with the other project partners being Espoo Marketing and the Turku University of Applied Sciences. The project will run from 1 April 2020 to 31 December 2021 and has a budget of EUR 443,278.
tel. +358 (0)50 302 3196, tiina.haapaniemi(at)businessoulu.com